Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Nautical Dorm Decor {Tutorials}

Check out my new blog: Sugar Spice and Sparkle!


I have been meaning to write this post for about 6 months now!  But time flies and I have been SO busy.  Luckily I am finally getting around to it because my favorite thing is nautical anything!  And I know many of you feel the same so I hope you enjoy!


My dorm room did not start out as nautical but eventually it has become that way and I love it!

First are my hand painted nautical cork boards!  Get the full tutorial back here.  A quick summary on the how to is to go get a 3-pack of cork boards at Ikea and paint nautical shapes onto them.  It really is that easy!



 




Next is my 'Anchors Away' hanging picture.  I got is at Kirkland's Home quite a while ago, so I am not sure if they still have it or not.  Kirkland's is a really great place for unique home decor though, and they seem to keep the nautical theme in their rotation, so I am sure you would be able to find something great!


Finally is my hand painted nautical flag canvas.  Keep reading for a tutorial on that!



I got a pack of 9 or 10 little canvases (8" x 10") at Walmart for $10.  When I purchased them I had so many big ideas!  Yet this is the only one I've used so far - 4 months later.  Oh well, thats a story for another time, onto the tutorial!

(Please excuse my pictures, as you can see I made this on my dorm room floor using a lovely Forever 21 bag to keep paint from getting everywhere :)

I just used the paints from an art set I've had forever that I purchased at Michael's.  You can kind of see it in the corner of this pic:


 Then I went to trusty Google to see what all the nautical flags looked like.  You can do your own search or click here for the one I found.  I used a ruler to space out and draw the squares somewhat evenly.  Then I just free-handed the flags inside each square.


 I used red, white, blue yellow, and black paint.  As you can see from this close up it is FAR from perfect, but hanging on my wall it looks nice and really brings the nautical theme of the room together.  After I took this picture I also took a black Sharpie and drew around each square to better define them.



And one final thing: nautical bracelet!  So this isn't "decor" but I just wanted to share it with you :)

I found these little anchor charms on eBay (I think I got 50 for $5 or something - super cheap!) and then made a simple friendship bracelet attached to it.


Its nothing too special but I really like it.  Maybe I'll put the other 49 charms to use soon and create something new ;)

Thanks for reading and don't forget to follow me on Instagram! kraftiekatie





No comments:

Post a Comment